12.16.2009

A New Doggy Style

I had a moment of INTENSE embarassment this weekend as I walked around Addis with a colleague. I really have to share, because it's still unclear whether I've missed something pretty basic over the years, or whether some things really are *this* different between Africa and the
US.

As we were walking back to the guest house where I'm staying, I spied two dogs on the sidewalk. And then I did a double-take.

The dogs were facing completely opposite directions, and formed a straight line, with their heads at either end and their rears in the middle. They were, uh, having sex. They looked decidedly
uncomfortable, too, for the record.

I couldn't help myself. My attention was completely diverted to this unusual sight. My companion noticed I had stopped listening to him, and saw the dogs. He laughed, and commented on the fact that they were doing that in the middle of the city.

Hold on. *THAT* is what you're commenting on?

Apparently, what "we" think of as doggy style is just the males "warming up" here in Ethiopia. Because this appears to be normal behavior here.

Now, I'm opening myself up to ridicule, I realize this. But... really? I'd never seen this before.

Ok, go ahead, laugh all you want. :-P

2 comments:

Kate Tighe. said...

I've never seen that, and it sounds insane. Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

Maybe this is too much information, but I'm trying to picture how that would work, logistically speaking, and I honestly have no idea. I've never heard if it before.